Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

DIY Fabric Bow Tutorial





This project is super fun and really quick once you get the basics down!

All you need is:
  • a needle
  • thread
  • fabric
To get started, cut two pieces from your fabric. 

The main part of the bow is about 6" inches in length and 3.5" inches wide (your final piece will be approx 2.5" inches wide depending on your folds)

Also cut an extra scrap that is 1.5" inches in length and about 2.5" inches wide

You may find yourself cutting off some excess as you are folding and sewing it together, so don't get too hung up on the dimensions.

Once your pieces are cut, take the largest scrap and fold lengthwise to the middle. Fold again on the other side (similar to starting a paper airplane)

Once folded lengthwise, fold both ends into the middle, slightly overlapping.








Sew a basic running stitch through the middle of your fabric where it overlaps. 

Pull the thread taut to gather the fabric and make the bow shape.

I ran the thread back down so it pulled evenly through.

Next, take your smaller scrap and fold lengthwise the same way you folded your first piece.

Stretch that fabric around the center of the bow and sew together in the back. 

Now that you've made your bow, you can use your hot glue gun to attach it to a blank bobby pin or hair clip! Or turn it into a brooch!






For my 80s neon bows, I used fat quarter fabrics. The plaid is a soft flannel.

You can also use felt and any other fabric you have lying around :)



Check out {THIS POST} to see how to make your own fabric and turn it into a necklace!


16 comments:

  1. super cut! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! They're fun to turn into just about anything! I made a tiny one and glued it onto a ring blank :)

      Delete
  2. lurv this!!! :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I found this tutorial reposted in its entirety on another website. If you'll reply to my comment via email I'll send you the link.
    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I referenced this tutorial in one of my tutorials. I hope that's OK! I gave you credit. In any case, it will drive more traffic to your blog! Let me know if this is an issue. Here is a link to the post: http://idcraftthat.blogspot.com/2012/08/leopard-hair-bow-from-old-t-shirt.html

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved the idea. Thanks - check out what you inspired us to do with the girls at the shop http://makeandmingle.wordpress.com/2012/08/14/bow-bow-wow/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quick question... I'm new to sewing so this will sound dumb.Do you hand stitch the back in the last step?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do! I suppose you could even do some fabric glue if you're not comfortable with hand-stitching. But since it won't be seen, it doesn't have to be pretty ;)

      Delete

Comment ♥ is much appreciated! I ♥ your feedback and just knowing someone is out there reading my little blog! Thanks for your support! If you have your own blog, feel free to leave a link in your comment so I can check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails